Lucia Arias, or Tuti, is one of my Costa Rican (tican) hermanas. I became “one of the family” when her cousin, Eliana (from here on out referred to as Nana) stayed with my family for 4 months in 2010. I then went to Costa Rica for a month the summer before my senior year of high school. I love Tuti’s family dearly, and I love Tuti just as dearly as an individual.
She’s been spending the past couple months with my parents, working to refine her English. Tuti is 25 and has a pharmaceutical job waiting for her when she arrives back in Costa Rica!! She’s one of the kindest, most cheerful people I’ve met. While she’s been staying en mi casa, she’s been residing en mi cuarto. I wouldn’t want to have given my room to anyone else.
1. What was the last picture you took with your phone?
A Christmas tree already decorated and full of ornaments.
2. Have you ever been pulled over by a cop?
Yes! But just to check my car papers.
3. What’s your heritage?
4. What was the last lie you told?
Honestly I don’t remember.
5. What’s the weirdest prank you’ve ever done?
I called my uncle pretending I was the mom of one of his son’s friend, we talked a long time about young people and he didn’t realize at all.
6. Do you trust anyone with your life?
Yes, my mom and dad, my best friend, Nana, my siblings.
7. Describe the perfect pizza.
Has to have a lot of cheese, thin paste and a little bit crunchy, could have pepperoni, pineapple, spices, and if someone makes it specially for me is more perfect.
8. What was your first thought when you woke up this morning?
“WOOHOO it’s not raining!”
9. You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is because of a mix up at the hospital and not yours. Would you want to exchange the child to correct the mistake?
Yes! I would try.
10. Would you be willing to lie to a court for a close friend if it meant saving your friend from going to prison for life?
Nope, unless he or she will go to jail unfairly.
11. Would you be willing to eat a bowl of crickets for money?
If they are cooked and spicy I would do it, but a whole bowl just if I really really need the money.
12. If you could have anyone locked in a room so you could torment them for a day, whom would you choose and how would you torment them?
I wouldn’t like to do that to anyone.
13. If you could be any age for a week, what age would you be?
I would be my little sister’s age, 11, just to play with her and see the world as a child again.
14. Who was the last person you sang to and what did you sing?
I guess it was Nana, but I don’t remember which one, probably a silly song.
15. What question do you hate being asked?
Question number 12, I wouldn’t like to do that to someone.
16. If you could have only one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I would have a great, massive, full scale brunch!
17. How do you start a conversation?
Sometimes asking a question like: what are you doing here, do you like blah blah blah…
18. If you had a brainwashing machine who would you use it on?
To a friend that is always saying they are not good enough for this or that.
19. Have you ever eaten a crayon? What’s the strangest thing you’ve eaten?
No crayon, but an eraser and it was not a good texture. Also I have eaten a Mexican cricket and it was interesting.
20. Are you still learning who you are?
Sure thing! Every day, every moment!
21. What are you afraid of?
I’m afraid of being far away from my family and something bad would happen and I wouldn’t be able to help.
22. Do you dance?
I love to dance, free style. It makes me feel happier!
23. What’s the weirdest thing about you?
I don’t feel that I have fell in love never (in the crazy crazy way) but I would want to.
24. What’s the most normal thing about you?
I’m 25 and graduated from college, which is how it’s “supposed to be.”
25. What are your thoughts on honesty?
It’s one of the most important things in any relationship, it makes you feel free and happy.
26. What do you want your tombstone to say?
May be something like “I would like you to keep sharing love.”
27. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
28. What feels like love to you?
All the babies and when the moms feed them, the kids and how happy they are, elderly couples still together, and sharing time with the people I love.
29. What’s a skill you’d like to learn and why?
To play the guitar like a pro.
30. How would your friends describe you?
Probably as a peace and love person: easy to get along with, relaxed, forgetful.