I feel like I say this frequently, but this week we have a truly special character on The Questions Project.
She comes in the form of Bell Johnson: my capstone teammate. She’s studying journalism and international studies with a minor in Russian studies. She loves travel and learning about the world, so we always have intriguing conversations.
I adore Bell for a lot of reasons, but in some capacities she is a pea in my pod. We have similar outlooks. Primarily, Bell is the best person I’ve ever worked with in a team project. We approach projects the same way, and it’s fortunately super compatible.
I wouldn’t have wanted to work on my final journalism project with anyone else.
1. What was the last picture you took with your phone?
I take a lot of screenshots on my phone. So the last picture I took was a screenshot of my school schedule for next semester. But that’s really boring. So the second to last picture I took is of my dad hiking in the mountains back home.
2. Have you ever been pulled over by a cop?
Maybe… Mum’s the word though.
3. What’s your heritage?
I’m a melting pot, but probably the primary ones are Swedish, Welsh and English. Note my pale and rosy complexion. The best part is that my great-grandmother swore that we were descendants from Pocahontas, but aren’t we all?
4. What was the last lie you told?
I’m surprisingly really good at lying, so I tend to have fun doing it. The last lie I can remember is when I was surprising my mother by flying home a day early for Thanksgiving break. I was in the airport, and she kept calling me asking me what I was doing and why I was up so early. I concocted a pretty cool night out for myself that never happened. She was surprised when I was sitting at the kitchen table when she got home though.
5. What’s the weirdest prank you’ve ever done?
I’m terrible at pranks. As good as I am with lying, I’m not creative enough to come up with cool pranks, but there was one I pulled on my best friend Hailey. We’ve known each other since we were three, and I have a great memory while she can’t remember what she did last week. I got tired of constantly being like, “No, Hailey that did happen.” So I told her fake memories interspersed with true ones. Her mother was in on it, and when Hailey found out she wasn’t too happy about that. She doesn’t believe me about our past anymore.
6. Do you trust anyone with your life?
Apart from the obvious – mom, dad, brother – not really. I’m a very private person and think I’m pretty self-sufficient. I don’t really trust anyone with my feelings so definitely not my life.
7. Describe the perfect pizza.
This comes directly from Mellow Mushroom’s website. The pizza is called Magical Mystery Tour: Pesto base pizza and crust with Button and Portobello Mushrooms, Mozzarella, Spinach, Feta and Jalapenos. I know, I’m salivating too.
8. What was your first thought when you woke up this morning?
“Why hasn’t my alarm gone off yet? Also WHERE IS THE COFFEE?”
9. You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is because of a mix up at the hospital and not yours. Would you want to exchange the child to correct the mistake?
I feel like this scenario is the basis of a TV show. Maybe I should watch that to get an idea of what to do because I can’t even contemplate what I would do.
10. Would you be willing to lie to a court for a close friend if it meant saving your friend from going to prison for life?
As an aspiring lawyer, I guess I should say no. I have this debate all the time with myself: justice or mercy? I think it would all come down to what they were being accused of. I do think if you do the crime you do the time, but I take that and the perfectness of justice system with a grain of salt.
11. Would you be willing to eat a bowl of crickets for money?
I’ve already eaten my fair share of gross things including larva and scorpion. So bring it on!
12. If you could have anyone locked in a room so you could torment them for a day, whom would you choose and how would you torment them?
Why would I want to do that? That’s sadistic. I’m going to pass on this question.
13. If you could be any age for a week, what age would you be? Apart from going back and being an infant again so I could sleep all the time, I want to see if it’s really all that fun to be fun, flirty and thirty. Probably not. Honestly, I would like to be 45 and see if people ever fully get their lives together.
14. Who was the last person you sang to and what did you sing?
Myself, in the car driving back from the airport, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”
15. What question do you hate being asked?
I hate getting asked any question about myself, but I guess the biggest one right now, “What are you going to do with your life?”
16. If you could have only one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Grilled cheese and tomato soup with a side of Twizzlers.
17. How do you start a conversation?
A head nod and “sup”… you’d be surprised how often I do that, which makes me cringe.
18. If you had a brainwashing machine who would you use it on?
Donald Trump because duh. That man needs to sort out his priorities.
19. Have you ever eaten a crayon? What’s the strangest thing you’ve eaten?
Probably when I was younger. I used to eat a lot of things: mud, whole sticks of butter, larva, scorpions. The strangest thing though would be a goat’s tongue. It was dark. I couldn’t see my plate and they said it was a part of a goat. So naturally, I thought it was going to be a leg. Then I chewed on it and found it to be a very weird texture. I’ll stop now because I’m getting nauseous just thinking about it.
20. Are you still learning who you are?
100 percent. Once I figure it out, life will be very boring.
21. What are you afraid of?
Sharks. God, I hate shark week. I like to overcome my fears so I’m hoping I can get in a shark tank soon to get rid of this one.
22. Do you dance?
YES. I love to dance. I’m not very good at it though.
23. What’s the weirdest thing about you?
The fact that I have and continue to eat weird, gross things?
24. What’s the most normal thing about you?
I like to watch romantic comedies in my PJs with a glass of wine. Also, I nap. A lot.
25. What are your thoughts on honesty?
Nothing is ever black or white, just like honesty is great up to a point. Sometimes the truth needs to be spoken even if it hurts someone but needless, unnecessary hurt should never be justified just for the sake of being honest.
26. What do you want your tombstone to say?
Well she did it.
27. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
SO MANY, but the biggest would probably be people who take people for granted and don’t say please or thank you. Maybe that’s my Southern manners coming through, but the world would be just a little bit better if people smiled and were polite.
28. What feels like love to you?
I’m going to get all noble on you… Love is putting another person’s feelings and well-being above your own.
29. What’s a skill you’d like to learn and why?
I would love to speak multiple languages fluently. That or martial arts.
30. How would your friends describe you?
I’ve gotten badass a couple times but mostly – brave, adventurous, independent, stubborn, driven, mysterious and outgoing.